The Philadelphia DUI Law Blog

Cop Pleads Not Guilty to DUI

It would seem police officers aren't immune from the pressures of drinking while driving.  After a Pennsylvania DUI attorney pleaded not guilty on behalf of a state trooper charged with drunk driving earlier this week, an off duty New York police officer was charged with driving while intoxicated on Thursday night, when his car crashed on 65th Place between Woodside Ave. and Queens Blvd in New York City. 

Although there were no injuries in the New York crash, NY Officer Matthew Woods is in hot water. Officer Woods had allegedly crashed into a parked car. 

In the Pennsylvania DUI accident, officer John Quigg Jr., 48, was allegedly driving under the influence while off duty. 

According to the New York Daily News, Woods and Quigg are not the first police officers to face drunk driving charges while off duty. Since 1999, at least 55 active duty New York cops have been charged with drunk driving. Interestingly, however, most of them were not removed from their jobs, as they pleaded guilty to non-felony charges. 

While New York provides several degrees of drunk driving infractions, Pennsylvania as a scheme of it's own.  And most Pennsylvania DUI attorneys are well versed with these rules of the road. 

The good news for drivers convicted of drunk driving is this: Pennsylvania offers leniency to first time offenders. Quite often, Pennsylvania DUI attorneys will be able to reduce your charge by pleading guilty to a lesser charge.Of course, this is not always the case and everything essentially depends on the facts and circumstances of a case, but regardless, a good Pennsylvania DUI attorney should be very good at helping you figure out the remedies and strategies available to you.

As for Quigg, he was fortunate to have been a first time offender. His Pennsylvania DUI attorney plans to request Quigg's acceptance into an Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program for first time non-violent offenders. If accepted, Quigg would be allowed to clear his record after successfully completing a period of probation. 

Related Resources