The Philadelphia DUI Law Blog

The Best Ways to Get a Lawyer for Your DUI Case

If you have been arrested for drunken driving, you will definitely want to get a lawyer for your DUI case.

However, with so many lawyers to choose from, how do you know how to choose the best one?

Most attorneys have impressive credentials and it can be hard to distinguish one lawyer from the next. However, by following these five tips, you may be able to narrow down your search:

  1. Check with the bar association. If you ask the local bar association in your area, you may be able to get a referral for a DUI attorney. Bar associations frequently have groups that specialize in an area of law like DUI law, and these groups may have a ready list of referrals.

  2. Talk to family and friends. More people get busted for a DUI than you realize. Don't be embarrassed and ask around for attorney referrals. There may be no better source than a former client who has had a good experience with a DUI attorney.

  3. Hang out in court. Want to see a lawyer in action? Then go to court. Find a lawyer you feel is especially competent, and ask her to be your lawyer too.

  4. Ask the court. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may ask the court to appoint a public defender. While public defenders may have a reputation for being overworked, the truth is that many of these lawyers are excellent attorneys with a passion for helping the less fortunate.

  5. Check online directories. If you browse FindLaw's directory of DUI attorneys, you may find the right attorney in your area. Many also offer free or discounted initial consultations.

Along with taking these steps, you should know that if you have a personal legal plan like LegalStreet, you get unlimited phone consultations with lawyers in your area. And if you want to hire an attorney to represent you in court, LegalStreet members get a discounted rate. It's just one more way to get professional legal help with your DUI case.

Disclosure: LegalStreet and are owned by the same company.

Related Resources: