DUIs are not just a little bit of swerving on the road that never hurt anyone. In fact, they are not only extremely dangerous, but come with just as dangerous charges. Take Robert Landis of Chester County, for one, who is now facing trial for nearly 32 different counts, for allegedly striking and killing a motorist while driving under the influence. Landis, 50, had already been found guilty of five DUIs prior to this alleged incident, Philadelphia's WCAU reports.
It should go without saying that drivers should never follow Landis' lead, but here are 3 dangerous DUI charges that you may not know about:
- Aggravated DUI. True to its name, an aggravated DUI is not just any run-of-the-mill DUI, but a more severe DUI charge for those who have coupled a "basic" DUI with other dangerous factors. One common aggravating factor is an extremely high blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level -- Pennsylvania law imposes aggravated DUI charges if a driver has a BAC of .16 or higher. Other aggravating factors include: getting a DUI while on a suspended license, getting multiple DUIs, or getting charged with a DUI while a minor is in the vehicle.
- Aggravated assault. An aggravated assault occurs in Pennsylvania if any person who negligently causes serious bodily injury to another person does so while driving under the influence of alcohol (or any other controlled substance). This can include hurting a passenger in a DUI-related crash or injuring an innocent pedestrian. Those who are convicted of an aggravated assault are guilty of a felony in the second-degree.
- Homicide by vehicle. Vehicular homicide refers to the unintentional killing of someone else while one is driving under the influence. In Pennsylvania, it can result in at least three years in prison, or more if there is more than one victim involved, not to mention hefty fines going up to $25,000.
Remember, never drink and drive -- your life and the lives of others are worth far, far more. However, if you do ever find yourself in a situation where you're charged with a DUI, you may want to consult an experienced DUI attorney to represent you and to help answer any questions you have.
- What Are Pennsylvania's DUI Penalties? (FindLaw's Philadelphia DUI Law Blog)
- 7 Ways a DUI Conviction Can Cost You (FindLaw's Philadelphia DUI Law Blog)
- Driving Drunk Can Lead to DUI, Other Charges Too (FindLaw's Philadelphia DUI Law Blog)
- Driver's License Suspension for a DUI in Pennsylvania (FindLaw's Philadelphia DUI Law Blog)